26 May 2011

Cakes from Flor

Once upon a time, I only eat chocolate cakes. Once upon upon a time, I only eat chocolate ice-cream too.

That changed when I met my first boyfriend and further changes ensued when I met my 2nd boyfriend, aka the Husband.

Gradually, the more I travel around the world, the more receptive I am towards the different flavours of ice-cream & cakes.

Cheescake, Mont Blanc, strawberry shortcake, carrot cake, tiramisu, fruit cake and durian cake are now widely accepted by my taste palette. Chocolate cake, however, is always my first love (and the first cake I grab at any buffet).

Thank goodness I have opened up my constricted mind because Japanese cakes are really one of the best!

When the Husband first went to check out Flor for TFL's photoshoot, he came back with a very pretty blue box. What a unique shade of blue!



You know it's a cake shop that is also patronised by the Japanese, when the bakery bothers printing Japanese words.


Kinda interesting how the Japanese wording is much longer than the English version. Hey, look! The box comes with a candle!


That's because I didn't get any birthday cake in my birthday month, so this was the Husband's feeble attempt at trying to give me a surprise. Feeble because if he did not go to Flor at my request, there would be no birthday cakes or candle. -__-

When I opened up the box, I was pleasantly surprised to see 2 ice packs & a cardboard ring packed in it to keep the cakes cool & prevent toppling. First time ever I see such packaging! So typical of Japanese to go the extra mile in their product packaging. 


The cakes were bought at about 330pm and brought home at around 9pm. The ice packs really helped! No sign of the cream melting at all.

So cuteeee! All of them are now hibernating in my freezer. This looks like something that can be bought from Daiso. I'm guessing that Flor must be spending quite a lot on these ice babies every month. The ratio is like 1 pack per takeaway cake slice. 

Very rare that I can hold my camera stable enough to take such sharp pics.

The Husband knows my taste in cakes, so I get 2 chocolate cakes! From left to right: Cacao Royal, Classic Chocolate, Napoleon.

I wasn't expecting much of the chocolate cakes, knowing that they are from a Japanese bakery. Didn't have a good experience with Japanese chocolate like those from Meiji. Sweet & not bitter like what I expect from noir chocolate. But I was pleasantly surprised when my first bite into Cacao Royal sent a bitter chocolate taste to my tastebud. Ooooh, niceeee!


Cacao Royal, S$6.20
The fruits are really fresh!

Classic Chocolate, S$6.20
I ate this cake on day 2. This wasn't the first chocolate cake I devoured because of the thick dollop of cream on top. I started jabbing my fork at the sides of the cake, to avoid the cream. When I inevitably got some cream on the cake I picked at, I was totally surprised at how light & airy the cream tasted. Not like those oily & mushy cream at all! I think it's whipped cream. Sheer brillance! The crispy chocolate pearls were great bites when eaten with the cake. The 58% dense chocolate in this cake is such loveeee!

Napoleon, S$6.50
On day 3, I finally got down to eating Napoleon. I wasn't quite smitten by its looks, as it looked just like another strawberry cake. Not quite a fan of fruit cakes as I do not like the sourish taste that comes with such cakes. When I pushed my fork into the cake, things started getting messy. Okay, alright, I admit a lady-like eater, I'm not. That got me slightly annoyed, especially when the puff pastry collaspes and I couldn't use my fork to poke through it. How on earth to stab through a crispy aka hard puff pastry with a fooooork?
I like my cake slice to stand upright when I'm eating it & not slouch and crumble. >:(

Took me some time to have the puff pastry, Japanese sponge cake & a strawberry bit all poked in my fork. Aaah, sense of achievement! When it's a combination of flavours, I fancy tasting them all in one bite than separate bites. How to imagine how they taste together if in separate morsels?

The moment I tasted it, I totally regretted not having it on the first day. It was heavenly to me and to think it had survived 3 days before I demolished it! So much like the apple strudel that I used to hand-carried in boxes back from Perth! Light pastry cream, fresh, juicy strawberries, not too sweet, wonderful combination of textures (crushed pie bits at side!) and left me hankering for more! OMG OMG OMG!



And I find it absolutely necessary to blow up 2 more pictures of the Napoleon to tempt you further. =DD

The photos might portray the cake as rich & dense, but it's not at all! It's light, moist, fluffy & just a delicious explosion of tastes!

Aah, how I miss you now!

If you are planning a visit to Flor, do go early & not near the evening! Cakes get sold out very fast and you might not be able to get your hands on any.

Here's an interesting nugget of information extracted from cakeflor.com.sg:

"We do not use baking powder, artificial rising/softening agent, stabiliser, or preservative in our products. The soft yet moist quality of our cakes is achieved from the natural aeration of eggs being whipped to their full peak."

So cool! I can't wait to try the rest of their cakes!!


Flor Patisserie
2 Duxton Hill #01-01 Singapore 089588
Tel: +65 6223 8628
Mon – Sat: 11am – 7pm
Sun: 11am – 5pm



Metta,
欣雨 Xinyu

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...