19 May 2011

添芬藍 TFL Series 44 - Multi-Pocket Carrier

I had this image stored in my laptop for at least 2-3 months

Credits: katespade.com

I know don't know think it would be a hit among my customers because it bears a slight resemblance to one of TFL's bestsellers.

TFL 3404 Madison Boston

I'm one of those who lugs a lot of random stuff when I go out and when you open up my bag, everything is in a mess. So anything with many pockets is my first choice! The only problem is sometimes I will forget which pocket has what & I will end up unzipping all the pockets, just to find my lipgloss hidden underneath the stash in the main compartment. Still, multi pockets any time! I am so 'kiasu' that I even include a back zip pocket in this design! The only qualm is that the more pockets there are, the higher the cost price, just like branded bags.

There are probably 100+ designs in my hard disk that I downloaded at random and I don't know when they will see the light of day. I do have a lot of self doubts when it comes to design selection. Can sell, great! Can't sell, money is stuck in the goods, cash flow issues & stocks piling high up at home, not funny.

When I wasn't so sure about this Kate Spade bag, I kept it aside and during my monthly design submission, I was out of inspiration (that happens when I'm too bogged down by work), saw the photo and thought: "Aiya, just whack & see how the sample looks!"

Turned out that the sample really looked good. So it was green lights for this bag!

The sample is of a structured shape, that means, the bag is able to stand on its own, even with no contents. But when I chose another fabric (the sample's fabric is very dated), the end product comes with a slouchy feel and is of a softer shape. It's supposed to be the same as the sample! =( Oh well, not the first time screw-ups with the factory happen. Don't get me wrong, the bag still looks gorgeous & I truly love the new colours that I have brought in!

I have been wanting to do an outdoor shoot since last year, being inspired by the photos from my Taiwan supplier.

TFL L01 Balenc. Bag

But outdoor shoots are more expensive, tiring & require more planning. Not easy for me, doing everything on my own. Okay, to be more honest, I couldn't afford an outdoor shoot then. =(

Last Wed night, my supplier informed me that the Multi-Pocket Carrier would be coming in on Friday. That same night, I was browsing Ladyironchef's blog, looking for nice dining places and stumbled onto Flor Patisserie by Chef Yamashita. A Japanese cake shop opened since 2010? How come I never heard of it when it's so near the Husband's work place?

I 'googled' for more information on Flor and a rainbow of inspiration hit me as I scoured through all the blogs/websites that reviewed Flor. The quaint rustic bakery has the PERFECT setting for TFL's photoshoots!



Excitement kicked in. The model that would look great in this setting, the photographer that could bring out the beautiful colours in this place, the storyline for this shoot, the clothes to go with the 4 different bag colours, the exact photo spots I identified from the online photos - all these just kept replaying in my mind for the next few days leading up to the shoot.

Things get fervently stressful when planning a shoot. Must see if photographer Ind is free, if model Mel is available, if the bakery allows us to invade their place for 2 hours and if my shoot coordinator, Jo, can take time off work etc.

Hiccups were aplenty. Flor was receptive with our request but preferred shoots to be at 11am-1pm. Ind said best timing for outdoor shoots were 730-9am or 430-6pm. Mel could only make it at 430pm. If I didn't do the shoot on Monday, I would have to wait till Friday. Too long!

I thought maybe no model or I should get another place. So I went online to scout for more places and found aplenty! But Monday, the chosen day for the shoot, was a popular closing day for many cafes! 天啊!

Finally on Sunday afternoon, 4 days after a shoot was initiated, all relevant parties agreed to a timing. It was a miracle! Prayers helped!  Next up was getting the clothes together. For someone who had been relying on supplier's photos & the piggies' shoots, this is the first time the whole shoot is commissioned by me. The piggies showed me some photos of their new stocks in their Iphones but I wasn't satisfied. So in the wee hours of Monday morning (I'm talking about 2-3am), I combed through the piggies' website to see their previous collections of clothing, planned on what shoes/accessories to match the clothes and nailed everything down in notes penned down by Jo. Jo was already quite stressed out by now. He was well aware of me pinning all my hopes on him. Haha!

It was Jo's first time coordinating outdoor shoots, though he had plenty of experience helping out with indoor shoots. I had went through all small details with him, down to my expected compositions of the shots and the expressions on the model. Still, I was mentally prepared that some mishaps would happen.

On the day of the shoot, photographer & Jo did some test shots of the place when they reached.


 

Presenting the superstars & divas of Flor!



The Napoleon cake is so too-die-for! It's almost like the Apple Strudel I used to buy from Perth! And their chocolate cakes! Rich chocolate taste with a light-as-air cream & crunchy chocolate bits, heavenly! I'm going to get my husband buy one different flavour back, everytime he's in that area! Did you know they even put reusable ice packs in their takeaway boxes? So Japanese, so thoughtful!

 This really made me laugh!

Disclaimer: speech bubbles are purely imaginary =D

And I always thought 招財貓 is a male.



Cakes & drinks for everyone before shoot commenced.


My photographer is a Malay, my model is a Chinese, Flor is opened by Japanese and Jo is half a Malaysian, and probably all have different religions. When I look at the above photo, it strikes me how fabulous it is when talented & capable people are able to work together & produce great work, "regardless of race, language or religion". Reminds me of Google. =D


Ready, action, shoot!



It was not easy getting the shoot done in 1.5 hours. The shoot started during Flor's peak period and there was a constant stream of customers, many regulars, coming in to place orders or collect cakes. Jo was telling me how some regulars placed an advance cake order, without even asking the price! I told him that cake must be for a company event, so it's on company expense. =D

Space inside the bakery was limited. Progress of the shoot was slow as the team tried not to get in the way of the customers. As soon as the people left or a table was available, the model & photographer hopped in for shots. In the photos, it looks like we had the whole bakery cafe to ourselves. It's an illusion, I assure you!


We actually had a changing tent prepared for this shoot. But the bakery was very kind to offer their restroom (which would definitely be more comfortable) for Mel's outfit changes. As the kitchen was on full swing then, Mel had to go by the back door. On a sidenote, I wonder if their restroom is as quaint as their bakery.

One thing I totally love about this bag is the satin polka dot lining!

 

It is the same lining for all 4 colours of the bag. So mad gorgeous! For the front & side pockets, one inner side is also lined with this polka dot lining! <3 <3 <3

Here's 2 edited photos my photographer sent me for review yesterday! She was asking me if I prefer the normal or vintage style.

Coming in Mustard,

Nude,
and there's Black & Sunburnt Orange too, with sling strap for all!

Sorry I couldn't put up more pictures of the bags, as the lighting in the raw photos are very inconsistent due to some taken indoors and some outdoors. Edited photos will only be reaching me on Thursday morning. I didn't want to upload the raw photos, least it spoils the beauty of the bags.

And honestly, isn't Photoshop amazing? The edited photos look so polished & drenched with colours! Love my photographer! Deep inside, both Jo & I were worried that this outdoor shoot, if not done well, would send sales plummeting, but so far, all those who have seen the edited photos have nothing but praises!

The Husband was asking me if I was concerned about selling a bag inspired from Kate Spade, with the recent hooha over a female politican posing with a Kate Spade gift box. I told him that one universal language of most, if not all, women would be shopping and I think my customers are above all that nonsense. Honestly, which normal woman wouldn't be happy when your husband buys you a Kate Spade bag, complete with such a pretty box? If only mine gives me one! To which, my Husband promptly kept quiet. =P Also, TFL inspired version is really pretty. I couldn't stop swinging it on my arms!



The first manufactured bag with Tian Fen Lan's signature embossed in it! Technology is so cool!

Big thank you to Ind, Mel & Jo for getting this shoot done, despite the hiccups! And bravo to Flor, for accomodating to the TFL team! We love your cakes & your 'kawaii' little shop!


Flor Patisserie
2 Duxton Hill #01-01 Singapore 089588
Tel: +65 6223 8628
Mon – Sat: 11am – 7pm
Sun: 11am – 5pm

And all the lovely clothing you see on Melissa are begged stolen from PolkaDotPigs! =)

I think I know why Flor & Tian Fen Lan 有緣, because Flor's signature colour is blue, just like 添芬


Metta,
欣雨 Xinyu

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...