17 May 2011

真的有懺悔的心嗎?

For consecutive 4 years, I've been participating Kong Meng San (光明山) 1.5km 3-step 1-bow ceremony, traditionally held on Vesak Day's Eve. But since my heart condition deteriorated, I reluctantly stop participating or I would be rolling down the hill like Jack & Jill, should my heart gives way.

I first knew more of this meaningful event through Vincent, my friend from NUS Buddhist Society. We were in the same ECA.

Here's the significance of doing 3-step1-bow, translated from kmspks.org:

Every prostration is the paying of respects to the Buddha (or countless Buddhas & Bodhisattvas). This helps to purify the mind, humble the ego and lessen obstacles along the spiritual path as one repents past misdeeds and aspires towards spiritual development. With mindfulness of one’s body, speech and mind during the ceremony, it enables us to achieve concentration & inner peace. The lengthiness of the ceremony reminds us of the arduous journey to Buddhahood but also encourages us that with determination, all can be overcome. As the ceremony draws to an end nearing dawn, the light of the morning sun breaking out in the distant signifies the light of wisdom chasing away the darkness of ignorance.

Within that few years, my Husband, my nieces, my inlaws & my sister-in-law have all joined me in the ceremony. Usually we will go there around 1am, when the queues are much shorter. Spiritual reasons aside, going to Kong Meng San on Vesak Day's eve has always been a fun family event. The monastery would be dressed up with Buddhist flags and there are huge lighted lotuses in the pond, throngs of people, stalls selling Buddhist books, beads and related products and free Buddhist distribution books for all to take. In the background, the melodious chant of “南無本師釋迦摩尼佛” would be playing non-stop. The whole temple is enshrouded with an infectious festive joy & a carnival spirit, with free vegetarian food for all.

It takes me about 2-2.5 hours to circumambulate the rocky perimeter of the temple. I do not deliberately take big steps just to be faster. Bigger steps = Less steps = less bows = less tiring. That would be akin to cheating, wouldn't it?

Credits: Singaporeshots.com
 

The real test of my perseverance comes about 1 hour into the ceremony. I can feel my head getting a bit giddy from the bowing, my arms aching from pushing myself up repeatedly, my legs turning into cotton wool and perspiration going into my eyes. When going downhill, all the blood rush to my head when bowing and it feels like I'm going to tumble down. When on stony paths, my hands & legs hurt from resting on the pebbles. I continuously fight off the temptation to skip the bows.

Credits:http://blog.omy.sg/walters

Times like these, only 1 thought crosses my mind : 造業容易,消業難,人真的不要造業,做錯了,你不一定有機會和時間來徹底地懺悔,業就來攻了。

To continue doing prostrations till the end, it is no longer about having a great physique but sheer determination. Well, alternatively it helps that there is an old lady, seemingly in her 60s, besides me who can do relentless prostrations without panting.

When I could no longer participate in this ceremony, I told my Buddhist teacher about my disappointment and he said this: “三步一拜固然是一個佛教徒可行的法門,但就猶如母親節,我們難道一年只感恩母親一次嗎?那是不對的。懺悔不是一年只做一次,而是每天修法時都該做的。每天都要有懺悔的心,每天都要降服我慢,修行才能進步。不能參加三步一拜的儀式,你還是能在那一天好好地修一壇懺悔法。沒有每天做修行的功課,習氣未除,持戒不足,去到佛面前時,你如何向佛陀說去年去三步一拜的你和今年的你有何區別呢? ”

果真一言驚醒夢中人。My teacher's words woke me up from a deep slumber.


This year at Kong Meng San, the DVD of the animated film of Shakyamuni Buddha is available for sale. I wonder after Vesak Day, if the DVD is still available.

Credits: kmspks.org

The trailer for this animated film looks very promising. The way the animation is drawn reminds me of Disney's Mulan. It is a beautiful thing that an increasingly number of people is coming out to propagate the Dharma in one way or another. The workload at TFL is never ending. I hope one day I can resume my volunteer job of doing translation for Dharma material/talks. Or maybe I should close down TFL one day, if I want to dedicate more time to such work. I realise it's impossible to strike a balance between these 2 loves in my life. Tian Fen Lan gives me some kind of purpose in life (hey, I really love pretty bags & they don't have to be of real leather! Too cruel!) but doing Buddhist work gives me an immense satisfaction & inner peace that Tian Fen Lan cannot. Then again, there is the bread-and-butter issue to consider.


“Depicted faithfully according to the Tipitaka and Pali Canon, I sincerely hope that this animated film will be of remarkable use and help to those who are eager to know or learn about the Buddha’s life and his teaching.”
- Krismant Whattananarong, film director of The Buddha


A great happening on earth takes place in the sixth century before the Common Era – The Birth of Lord Buddha – one of the greatest blessings to mankind. Born into a royal family, the infant is given the name “Siddhartha”. The prediction reveals; either he will become the Great King or the Buddha. Twenty nine years later, the prince leaves the luxuries of the palace and his royal household in quest of cures to the suffering of life. Thus, he decides to abdicate his very throne and finally leaves for ordination.

About the Director
Krismant Whattananarong is an associate professor at King Mongkut’s University of Technology North Bangkok, Thailand. He has been teaching in the field of media for technical education. His animation experience includes teaching animation and simulation techniques. The Buddha is his first commercial film as a director. He is currently working on a TV series related to this film.

 ~ extracted from kmspks.org


The Ganges River (恆河), longest river in India, is often mentioned by Buddha in the sutras as a metaphor. When He wished to illustrate how incalculable something was, He would say it was as much as the amount of sand grains in the Ganges e.g. in 《地藏經》,“恆河沙劫說難盡”.

Ending off this post with a beautiful song about Ganges River, sung by a very pretty Malaysia singer, 黃杏怡.  Aah, if only I can sing like her. This video currently has 36K+ views on Youtube. Hope you like it too!



 感恩南無本師釋迦摩尼佛當年留在世間說了無數的法,利樂有情,讓吾等今生能有幸聼聞佛法,皈依佛門。祝佛誕快樂!


Metta,
欣雨 Xinyu

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...