21 January 2012

This is not right

 It's not quite right when I couldn't contact my dad for days.
I thought he's just too busy to return my calls.

It's not quite right when I managed to get him yesterday afternoon, only to know he has just been discharged from the hospital.
He was hospitalised for the past 10 days and had an operation.

It's not quite right that my sisters did not tell me about it.
Because Dad told them not to.

It's not quite right that they all agree not to tell me.
Because Dad knows pre-CNY is TFL's busiest period.
And I would be running about like a mad hatter.
Barely just meeting delivery schedules and launch dates, with bedtimes being the waking times of normal people.
What he didn't know was a photoshoot messed up and there was no launch this week.
Leaving me with only half the workload of usual.

The only thing that feels right was I had bought hospitalisation insurance for him.
Girls, if you can afford, get full hospitalisation insurance for your parents.
If not, at least partial is better than nothing.
Get a rider, apart from the basic plan.
More comprehensive coverage.
Life insurance does not suffice.
Hospitalisation stays are not something we can forsee.
I know of very few people who didn't have to stay in hospital for a period or so, when they get old.
Dad's 10-day hospital stay & operation came up to S$7K+.
In 2005, he was hospitalised and had an op done too. Total bill was S$9K.

Imagine S$16K+ hospitalisation expense in less than 7 years.
Not something I can claim from life insurance, because it was not a critical illness.
And we don't know what lies ahead.

It's really not right that my work is taking up so much of my time.
That I seem to have none left for anything else.
Or anyone else.
This got to change in 2012.




Metta,
欣雨 Xinyu

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...