11 January 2012

My Monopoly dream



 When I was growing up, I had a grand dream of being a landlord lady.
You know, something like Monopoly.
Buy a house, rent it out, live on the rental and have the freedom of pursuing whatever my heart desires.
I reckon owning about 2 properties should be good enough.
The idea is I'm too free-spirited to be bounded by a job for years.
I didn't want my life to be just reporting for work from Mon-Fri.
At every stage of my life, I want to be doing something different.
I want to give my all to learning about Life.
Not just being an employee.

I'm not even contented with just being a boss, though my business is flourishing & there are so many loyal & supportive customers.
I don't like the idea of being stagnant or living a cookie-cutter life.
There is more to life than making money.
And how many of us only have 1 dream in our entire lives?

What we think and what happened in reality are often polarities apart.
So here I am, writing on a blog, mostly read by my beloved customers.

I once even harboured the dream of buying a condo unit for my parents.
They have went through a lot of ups and downs in their lives.
And I used to think that if I make it to being a university graduate, I will have the means to give my parents a better life.
But there were school loans, wedding, house reno and then Tian Fen Lan.
All of which used up most of my savings.

The past few months, I have been seeing a lot of condo flyers around my estate.
The one I was really keen in was Greenwich at Seletar Hills.
I even got the Husband to drive past it a couple of times.
Even my geomancer says I can go for it.
Yes, if I have the moolah.

One of my girl pals was telling me she used to think that after graduating, she will be able to get a good-paying job easily, and not long after be able to shop at high-end labels like Gucci and the likes.
But despite graduating with first class honours, she took a year before she could find a stable job.
Even with that, her dreams of shopping at Gucci only realised after she turned 30.
And even then, it was probably once or twice a year.
Definitely not every other weekend.

I almost bought a condo unit at Tiong Bahru 7-8 years ago.
Those were the days when condo units are selling at half of current prices.
But I was silly enought to give up the idea, because I was only in my mid-twenties and the idea of owning a property then overwhelms me.
Coward.
I could have afforded it with a decent housing loan.
It was something I regretted.

I never fancy buying branded bags, because I don't see much value in them and also, I avoid using leather whenever possible.
Have you ever watched that Youtube video where cows & calves get de-skinned?
It was horrid.

Apart from my fashion dream and pursuing Buddhist studies, the other thing that I ever wanted was my Monopoly dream.
I know some of my ex-colleagues already own at least 1 or 2 rental properties.
But that would mean I have to fly longer to achieve that.
Doesn't sound appealing either.

Still it was with a slight tinge of sadness when I saw the Greenwich flyer on the windscreen of the Husband's car.
I wonder when I will ever be able to give my parents a better life.

Oh, c'mon, grow Tian Fen Lan, grow!




Metta,
欣雨 Xinyu

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...