22 September 2011

Back from the salon

 I just had my haircut done at Salon Vim. 
If you're a keen blog reader, I'm sure you would have read about this salon on one of those famous blogs.
No, I'm not promoting for them. 
Nor am I recommending them.

My last haircut was done in April.
The perks of having long hair. 
You can save on haircuts!
And probably spend the money on colouring, perming, rebonding, treatment...or online shopping. =D

My last soft rebonding plus treatment was done last April.
At another salon.
I like black hair and let my white hair flourish so I don't colour my hair.
Barely cut it in a vain attempt to have it grow till my waist.
Very save money, you know.
Only to realise that my thick glorious mane is too heavy for me to bear. -___-

Think I digressed. 
This entry is not about my hair and I.
But about this guy friend of mine who doesn't have much luck in finding a good & affordable hairstylist.

He used to cut his hair at those neighbour salons.
He prefers male hairstylists, who in his opinion are better in their craft than the ladies.
Actually, I think so too.
No need shampoo or blow.
S$13 per haircut. 
Cheap and good.
No need to spend too much time queuing or washing hair.

Then the stylist left for greener pastures out of the blue.
Leaving him stranded. 

He managed to find another guy at another neighbourhood salon. 
This hairstylist was good enough and he was, erm, effeminate.
I don't know about you, but I've come to a conclusion that most effeminate guys are better hairstylists.
But the problem with effeminate guys is that they can get emotional easily too.
So sometimes his cuts are not symmetrical or too punky for his liking.

I missed out mentioning this.
This guy friend works as a consultant. 
So his hairstyle must be the very professional and proper kind.

Source: Google images

No fringe covering the forehead and eyebrows and eyes.
No hairline touching the collar.


Source: Google images

No hair covering/touching the ears.
 No pouffy hair crown.

Source: Google images

Yes, that means no F4, Jay Chou nor Jackie Chan kind of hairstyle.



More like Andy Lau's classic hairstyle.
Slope behind, slope at the sides, top cut short a bit but not too short or it will be too funky. 
Sounds simple?


Source: Google images

Inserting a photo of Andy's Lau side view, for the definition of slopes.

Clean-cut, neat, smart-looking and boyish.
Basically, it's like what primary schoolboys have, right?

Guess what?
It seems to be an insurmountable feat for most male hairstylists nowadays.

I would never believe my friend if I never see it for myself. 

Shouldn't all male hairstylists know how to cut such a hairstyle?
I'm pretty sure they weren't bald, flaunting long hair or sporting bobs when they were little kids.
It's not that unfamiliar a hairstyle, isn't it?

Having enough of the effeminate stylist's yo-yo emotions, my friend went to Reds salon at Tampines Mall.
It was an impromptu decision. 
He walked past the salon, knew he needed a haircut and walked in.
Picked a random hairstylist who wasn't happy that my friend didn't want his hair shampooed.
Made a small fuss.
When the haircut was done, the hairstylist used a hairdryer to blow the cut hair away.
Plus, pulled open my friend's shirt collar and aimed the hairdryer nozzle in.
That meant quite an amount of cut hair at the collar went all the way inside.

We thought the problem lied with the emo hairstylist. 
Then, my friend went to Reds Salon at Ngee Ann City.
Different hairstylist, but same badass attitude.
That's not all.

The hairstylist also pulled out the shirt collar & aimed the hairdryer nozzle in!

 Why does Reds Salon have such a weird practise???

I was in bewilderment when I saw that!
Doesn't that defeat the purpose of tucking a towel in prior to the haircut?

My friend eventually found his dream hairstylist by the name of Alan at Nono Salon, Central Mall.
All was good for about a year.
Alan never made any fuss about my friend not wanting to shampoo his hair.
Then, Alan left the salon.
With no contact number or any indication of Alan's new workplace, my friend was back to square one.

The hunt for the elusive hairstylist starts all over again.

Somewhere last year, my friend ended up at Salon Vim.

Luckily at Salon Vim, there are a lot of male hairstylists.
They are really accomodating about my friend not wanting to shampoo his hair. 
No noise made, no fuss kicked up, no questions asked.
My friend pays the same price anyway.

I think my friend is too nice though. 
He gives a hairstylist 3 chances to prove him wrong.
If on the first time, the hairstylist does not cut the style he wants, my friend says maybe the stylist is not familiar with his needs.
Second time, my friend thinks maybe he will get it right the third time.

You and I know they will NEVER get it right by now!

It is amusing to see my friend going down the alphabets, like thumping through the Yellow Pages. 
At Salon Vim, he had his hair cut by hairstylists of names beginning with A, L, J & M.

On the fifth alphabet he risks his hair with, it was BINGO!

And that is....*cue drum roll*...the Letter I!!!!

This somehow reminds me of Sesame Street teaching alphabets. 
Hahaha!

I have seen all his haircuts done by the various alphabets and the previous emo ones. 
I can't understand why the vast difference.
Sometimes, he comes out looking nerdy.
Sometimes, he looks too funky for his profession.
Sometimes, he just looks really awful.

How can a basic hairstyle like this be so varied?

Letter I was off yesterday. 
My friend didn't know and had to get a haircut by another alphabet. 
Now he looks...oh well, since he doesn't read my blog...silly. 
The left sideburn tapers off, while the right sideburn has its ends shaved straight.
And there's this awkward hole on the back hairline.
What was the hairstylist thinking??

Luckily hair grows. 
For guys, even faster.

I'm not laughing at him. You know, right?
I worry about karma when I have the courage to go perm my hair next time.

By the way, if you have ever been to Salon Vim, do you realise that 90% of the male staff have pouffy hair crowns?


Is that the happening hairstyle among guys nowadays?
I see some young male clients leaving the salon with this type of hair style too.
I prefer the Andy Lau hairstyle though.
Lucky the Husband is not into such styles.
I can't imagine his hair being more voluminous than mine.
Alright, think I'm really getting old.

Morale of the story:

1. Know the off-days & leave of your favourite hairstylist.

2. And his mobile number too, in case he jumps ship one fine day.

3. Next time, bring a picture of Andy Lau along. 
It might just help.

4. Last resort, hunt down those old Chinese barber uncles who used to cut
that hairstyle for our forefathers. 
They can't go wrong too, right?



 Not quite sure how to label this post, maybe I should start a Jokes label.


Metta,
欣雨 Xinyu

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...