20 March 2012

Furniture-shopping online!


I'm a fan of Scandinavian designs. When I first arrived at Copenhagen Airport, I fell in love with the minimalist design coupled with warm wood. After Changi Airport (no other airport beats ours!), this is my next favourite airport. I have seen tens of airports, with many using the modern glass & steel structures. But most are too stark and cold for my liking. Sometimes a lot of spaces just result in hollow emptiness.

Changi Airport & Copenhagen Airport 很有情. Take the fatigue out of travelling. =)

Some Googled pics of Copenhagen Airport!


Source: Google Images

Source: Google Images

We will be doing some small renovations to the in-laws' home next week and I had been on the lookout for a couple of new furniture. Nowadays, I hardly go shopping at the malls. Barely had time to finish my long to-do list everyday and it's really awesome that almost anything can be bought online nowadays!

Being a fan of Scandinavian designs, Ikea is definitely the first store I checked out. Almost everyone is bound to have something from Ikea at home. Such is the power of their competitive advantage! I love their bath towels by the way! I couldn't find my Ikea catalog so I went to check out their local website. They have an amazing e-store! As a marketing major, I'm in awe of how Ikea extends its brand identity and keeps it constant even in its e-store. Uploading hundreds of room ideas (just like what you can see in their catalog!), thousands of products and their relevant information must be a lot of work!



 




I'm eyeing the chair above! It's a new item! Not the usual black and boring-looking office chairs, with a great price to boot! I tried it out at Ikea Tampines on Sunday. It was really cushy & comfy, with the wide-seat base that allows me to sit cross-legged! I hope it fits into the Husband's small car. =D

The Husband recommended some furniture sites to me. I never knew shopping online in Singapore is really that convenient! Prices are 20-40% cheaper than brick-and-mortar shops!

www.beds.sg

Beds.sg was started in 2006 and is probably one of the most popular furniture sites that boasts prices lower than brick-and-mortar stores. Under each furniture design, you can read about the reviews submitted by customers.  有好也有坏,但好的居多。


www.furnituremart.sg

www.homestore.sg

The best thing about such sites is there is free delivery & installation for purchases of S$150 and above, compared to Ikea's S$55 for delivery alone. Some furniture from the cheaper range are like those that you can find at neighbourhood furniture stores. And there are some that are very designer-looking! 

Beds.sg has the best and clearest photos of the 3 sites. It's a pity that for the other 2, the measurements and descriptions are not very clear. If 'agarration' (estimation) does not work, you can call the customer service number or send in an email online. Some designs are common to the 3 sites, so remember to check & compare.

Beds.sg has also received the most media coverage, being featured on Home & Decor, Square Rooms, Straits Times and more.

This article was published in the Straits Times on Saturday March 3, with a photo showing the furniture the featured couple bought online. Click on the photo to read the article!




I was looking for a wardrobe and Ikea doesn't have one that is suitable price and design wise. Because of Scandinavian influences, Ikea always have better designs than most furniture shops (not referring to the upmarket designer ones). But hehe, better designs doesn't mean better quality.

I'm getting a small wardrobe for the in-laws' home from one of these sites. Waiting for the Husband to be back to show him. When I do, will let you gals know how the quality is like!

Oh by the way, if you are looking for electrical appliances, I recommend

1) Goh Ah Bee at Kovan:

Blk 210 Hougang Street 21 #01-247 Singapore 530210
Tel: 62888611
 
or

2) Everjoint at Ang Mo Kio:

Blk 159 Ang Mo Kio Avenue 4, #01-534, (S)560159 Tel: 64582531


I bought my Panasonic fridge from Everjoint last month after comparing with Goh Ah Bee, Mustafa, Best Denki & Fairprice Xtra. My first LG fridge for my home, stove, toaster oven, thermos flask and washing machine were from Goh Ah Bee. You can always call to check out the prices. Delivery is included in the prices too! 

For the Panasonic fridge, the Husband placed the order via phone, without ever going down to Everjoint before. No deposit was required. Way before online furniture shopping got hip, there are already brick-and-mortar shops making buying even more convenient!


Metta,
欣雨 Xinyu

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...