30 August 2011

A Night of Many Conversations Part 1

 I blogged about my Mum's 56th birthday before.
I've been reminding myself to remember to celebrate my Grandaunt's birthday this year, as I said I would in the entry.

I did remember, though it was still 1 week late.
People often tell me how they envy me being a blogshop owner, that is, the flexible working hours and I can take leave whenever I want.
Truth is, not quite true.

Flexible working hours often mean working into the wee hours and not able to put a stop to it.
I must make sure the inbox is zero before I sleep
Public holidays and long weekends make no difference, because work still need to be done.
I can't put down my work without feeling queasy about it.
And whenever I'm away from my mails for more than 36 hours, I get self-inflicted panic attacks when I proceed to open TFL's inbox, thinking about screaming (virtually) customers who spam repeated emails, without realising that Gmail will push their mails further up the queue, meaning I will see it later than earlier.


Many a times, I'm only scaring myself.
TFL has mostly polite and patient customers and they understand when I am unable to reply on weekends somtimes. =)
 
Overseas trips will see lugging a laptop with all the necessary notebooks & stationery to work in the hotel room at night.
Not a day pass without me thinking how to better TFL, with my limited resources and capacity.
It is not an easy business.
Don't envy me, babe.

Back to my Grandaunt, we were a week late in celebrating her birthday due to conflicting schedules.
Mum had wanted to bring her to one of the hotels under the Millenium Copthorne Group, as we have the Ala-Carte membership card.
But Grandaunt does not eat much international cusine.
She doesn't take salad (she does not like raw vegs) and not even pasta.
So I suggested Si Chuan Dou Huan Restaurant at UOB Plaza.

They do ala-carte dinner buffet every night.
Can't go wrong when the the entire restaurant serves Chinese food, right? =)

When the Husband and I reached, I was searching the lobby for my Mum and Grandaunt.
Turned out they were outside by the Singapore River snapping pics.




Did I ever mention my mum love taking photos?
She is NEVER without her camera, whenever she goes out.
Before there were digital cameras, Mum already has a few film cameras.
Minolta film camera is really sharp and take beautiful photos by the way.
Mum doesn't think twice about spending money on developing photos from film.
She will even carry spare film rolls in her handbag!
A few years back, she invested in a 10megapixels Casio camera.
I tell you, that make it worse for everybody.

Because my mum doesn't just take photos of herself.
She forces everyone to take photos with her too and likes getting people (me, especially) to pose while eating and walking.
Wah, tak boleh tahan!!
Years back during my convocation, I actually had a squabble with Mum, because of the insane amount of photos (30? 40?) she insisted on taking of me alone, which caused me to miss out taking pictures with other graudating friends.
All over my maternal home, you will find photos of Mum and our family plastered all over in nice photo frames and there's one even in a Ferris wheel style, where you can cut up your photos and insert them into the 'cabins'.
Yes, Mum will actually make time to do that!
Oh my 天!

Mum is the all-time camwhore, even before this word was invented.


 Someone else in front of us when we reached the restaurant at 60th floor.
Pardon the grainy photos. I only have the Husband's Iphone 4 to snap shots. =(

We were there at about 645pm. The sun had yet to set fully.
It was a wonderful feeling to be back here since my wedding 5.5 years ago.
It brought back memories.


Making our way to our table.
There were 6 of us. 
The Husband, me, Mum, my 2 Grandaunts and my Godmother.
Looking at this photo reminds me Grandaunts and Godmother are in their 70s and I've to put in more effort to spend more quality time with them...

It's always a great idea to go for ala-carte buffets with many people!
You can try more dishes from the menu and no worries about leftovers!
But the elderly have smaller appetites and the Husband & I still have to finish most of the food that night.


This elevated area was a renovated part of the reastaurant.
There are only 3 tables at this part of the restaurant.
I like the warm lighting, the hanging lights with oriental tassles, a bit of greenery and the cushioned seats, which make for great dining away from the bustle at the main dining area!



You have to come with 3 other adults to have this buffet.
I guess it's the restaurant's way to prevent food wastage.

One thing I never quite understand is why buffets are always more expensive during weekends & public holidays.
I can accept it if the weekend spread is more extensive or has more expensive dishes e.g seafood or BBQ section compared to weekday menu, but this buffet has the same menu during the weekends too.
We were there on the first Sunday of August.
Imagine if retail shops do the same thing. 
-___-

Knowing how long I need to write such entries, I decided to post them up in parts so that my readers won't keep seeing a blog with no updates. =P
This will be a short Part 1 of this entry.
I will continue Part 2 in the next few days.

Selamat Hari Raya Adilfitri to my Muslim readers!
Not sure if there are but anyway!
The Husband is saying how nice it will be if we have Malay neighbours.
I think he just want free food today. Hahaha!
I want to order the Kueh Lapis baked by a former Grand Hyatt Sous Chef I read about here !
You can read more from their Facebook page here.
I used to buy from Jakarta and it's really sedap but I have not been able to find nice ones in Singapore.


 Sampler pack of the different flavours at S$3 if you can't decide what flavour to have.
You can choose from blueberry, durian, cempeda, prune and mixed fruit.

Source: Ume Delights FaceBook page



Chef Ume also does takeaway orders of Nasi Ayam Penyet.

Everything looks so delicious!
Waiting for the Hari Raya festivities to be over before sending in my order!



Metta,
欣雨 Xinyu

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...