12 July 2011

My love & hate relationship with my skin - Part 3

 For readers who have yet to read the previous entries, here's the link to Part 1 & Part 2 where I shared my treacherou$ journey to achieving perfect skin.
Okay, do away with the 'perfect', at least have skin that looks normal.

I have combination skin that borders on the dry side and 
purges allergies in the form of little oil bumps or rash-like bumps.
Suffered from acne when I was a teen. Medication saved me.
Had splatters of clogs on my forehead and cheeks in my twenties due to usage of wrong products.
DRX clinic came to my rescue

My skin (the one on my face) doesn't like Lavender, Sodium Laureth Sulfate, AHA/BHA, alcohol in cleansers and strong acids from those like Cleansing Express cleansers.
Brands that I abstain from include Dermalogica, Biore, Avene, Fancl, Clinique, Cleasning Express, Loreal and Garnier.
My skin favours skincare products from Japan and Taiwan. 
I do not try out new skincare products at whim. 
My wallet cannot take it.

Because of teen acne, I have slightly visible pores on my cheeks and dream of going for laser/IPL/Microdermabrasion to lessen their visibility. 
Hmm, got to sell more bags to realise my little dream.

My makeup base, masks and Buddhism has helped me A LOT in making my skin look good.
Sounds incredulous right? But really, Buddhism helps. =)
So much that sometimes ladies who see me for the first time will say, "Wah, your skin looks good! You look so radiant!"
Well, only sometimes, when I have enough sleep and not toiling over TFL's work. =P

So if you have similar skincare woes like me, I hope my entries will be of help to you! =)


Sunscreen

Since 15, I have used products with SPF in them. 
I was paranoid of freckles and wanted to be Snow White.
Over the years, I still have freckles but long-term usage of products really make my face fairer!
How do I know? My neck is slightly darker than my face. =P

But since my sensitivity with moisturisers set in, I have used a separate sunscreen. 
DRX Sunscreen doesn't cause clogs for me.
S$50+, can last for half a year! 
I apply sunscreen everyday, even when I'm at home. 

1. Wash face with cleanser
2. Pat on Hada Labo lotion
3. Pat on Placen10
4. Apply Chanel Whitening Essence
5. Put sunscreen

I'm in my thirties but I still want to be as fair as reasonably possible.
Don't you think a person looks younger and more radiant when the skin is fairer?
Tanning is a bad idea to me. It will age and wrinkle your skin fast.
Trust me, my friends have been there done that.


Masks

I'm an advocate of facial masks, be it in paste form or in sheets like the above photo.
From Da S and and 伊能靜's books, I learnt that 'mask-ing' is an essential way for beautiful supple skin.

During my flying days, after every flight, I will definitely apply a mask after cleansing & exfoliating.
It is a good way to keep my skin in tip-top condition for flights.
Without exfoliation, my skin will not benefit much from the goodness in the masks.
I use 2 types of masks - whitening & moisturising.

Now, whenever I put on makeup or even just makeup base, I still have the habit of putting a mask on after cleansing and exfoliation.
Even with no makeup or makeup base on, I make it a point to apply a mask every 2-3 days.


There is this Orange Vitamin C jelly mask by Lifecella recommended by Da S in her book.
 有效,好用又便宜!Gentle enough for daily use!
I used to buy it from Taipei Cosmed and S'pore Watsons.
But I have not been able to find Lifecella masks in Watsons anymore. =(

One way how whitening masks achieve the instant 'Snow White' effect is by having an acidic ingredient that exfoliate, hence giving you the illusion that you are immediately fairer after usage.
A common one would be salicylic acid, otherwise known as BHA.
I can't use products with AHA or BHA. 
Frequent usage of masks with salicylic acid can cause sensitive skin.
The 2 masks in the photo above does not contain this ingredient.

I have used tens of different brands of masks. Not every one works. Naturally.
Whitening masks, I discovered, have a tendancy to cause bumps on my skin.
Including those famous masks used by famous stars.
So I'm naturally wary of trying new masks.


I used to buy this Red Wine mask from Taiwan, recommended by Da S.
It comes with a wooden spatula. You are not supposed to dig your fingers in.




Till now, this is the best mask I have ever used, apart from Dermalogica's Power Recovery masque!
It whitens, moisturises, regulate skin conditions, brightens and prevents aging.
Sounds like those mega-combos that every other facial mask claims.
But this actually works!
For me, at least.
It works even better than the SKII masks!

A small 60g tub costs about S$70. A big tub is at S$328.
Based on current SGD and TWD exchange rates.
I have bought both sizes before.
You can buy it online and get it shipped to Singapore at an extra fee of S$22.
Or you can read up here from the Taipei clinic that retails it.

This red wine mask is so popular that there are imitations of it in China, selling at a fraction of the clinic's price.
So don't be a cheapo! Don't buy from the China websites!!

I'm not quite sure why my skin reacts favourably to red wine but ostracises alcohol as an ingredient in skincare.
Oh well, as long as it works!

The Red Wine mask from My Beauty Diary (in the big photo above) is a cheaper alternative to the one from Lifestyle Centre. I have been using them for at least 2 years.
Both are from Taiwan, but the one from Lifestyle Centre has its formula from Japan and requires washing off the mask.
I personally think the effects from application masks (cream/paste/gel) are more lasting and better than those from mask sheets.
But mask sheets are really convenient!

The other one in the photo is the 24hr Hydrating Ultra White Lift V-mask from Heme,
From Taiwan too! ♥
There was a time when My Beauty Dairy Red Wine masks were out of stock.
I got desperate and hunted for another Taiwan mask.
This had a sticker proclaiming the mask to be voted “特優” by the netizens at www.fashionguide.tw, an online fashion/beauty forum. Somewhat like our local Cozycot.
A glittery sticker on it stated the mask being recommended by S.H.E too, but I have never believed in celebrity endorsements.

I was hesitant initially as rose was a crucial ingredient in this mask.
It was no. 6 out of the dozens of things that go into the mask.
Lavender causes sensitivity issues for me and I wondered if all flowers do.
But I was desperate.

I read from Da S book previously that rose is another great whitening agent.

And surprise, surprise, this mask does its job well!
I only realised there are ear lifts and mask for the lower jaw after I opened up the pack.
So desperate that I didn't even read the packaging properly before buying.
The tightening pull was quite shiok.
Though I don't think it's a lasting effect.
The 24-hr hydrating effect also sound dubious.
My face is broader than the mask, so when I put on the ear lifts, the areas beside my nose is not 'masked'.
But yes, it does whiten my skin, hydrates it and nourishes it.


A smart consumer should always read the ingredients in a product.
The cosmetics and skincare industry is a highly engineered one, if you get what I mean.
The ingredients are listed according to the amount used.
The first ingredient you see listed would have the largest proportion in the product.

Now, there was once I saw a product claiming to be a Ginseng mask with anti-aging effects.
When I read the ingredient list, the 'ginseng extract' was the 2nd last item in the list.
In front of it, there are tens of other ingredients.
 Tens!
In other words, the amount of Ginseng used is much much much lesser than the big fat Ginseng picture the manufacturer slapped on the packaging box.

Is it still legal for the mask to be advertised as a Ginseng mask?
Yes, because there is Ginseng in it.
However, consumers would be swayed to think that there are high amounts of it.
Well, it might possibly be a scientfic formula equation thingy.
Maybe cannot put too much Ginseng in the product or it might revolt against other core ingredients, causing it to be unstable for human use.
But the point is, why must sell it as a Ginseng mask then?

Gosh, I can go on and on about the ingredients in a product and how vital it is for everyone to learn more than to be bought over by clever marketing and brillant packaging.

But it's 4:13AM and I've claimed that this would be up over the weekend.
I hope the minor technicalities in this entry does not bore you.
I shall end off here and put up the rest in Part 4 - my makeup base, my skincare books and the beauty food I go for!




Metta,
欣雨 Xinyu

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...