26 February 2011

My love & hate relationship with my skin - Part 1

I was born with perfect skin.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
When I was a baby.

There was never a worry about having bad skin days.

Then when I hit puberty, my skin started having a mind of its own. 
I have to go to school with huge pimples on my nose. 
They just like growing there in the middle of the night, complete with pus in it. 
Oh, gross!

It does feel great squeezing them out, but I realise that if I do not have anything suitable to apply on the 'open wound', the pus will come out again, like lava from a erupting volcano!
Oxy does not work on me. Watsons then do not carry so many products like now.

I eventually got to see a doctor for my temperamental skin and was on antibiotics for about a year.
The medication cleared the skin rapidly, but not long after I stopped, the problem resurfaced, literally.
I have heard about the side effects of being on such prolonged medication and no way am I going back to medication.

It was a treacherous road to find suitable skin care products, when I was on a student budget.
I'm not the kind who can afford to buy something, only to chuck it if it's not so fantastic and then buy another one.
Skincare products from Watsons generally do not work on me. I have high-maintenance skin.
Woe, be on me. =(

When I started my first job, I survived on basic pay for 1st 4 months of training, which was utterly miserable.
I had to spend tons of moolah on makeup, winter wear, luggage etc.
實在真的有夠沮喪的。
The allowance that finally tumbled in on the 5th month onwards went to overseas sightseeing & food.
 實在真的有夠窮的咯!
 It's very demoralising to go to work with less than perfect skin, open pores (the favourite breeding area of my ex-pimples) and a blackhead-filled nose.
Yes, make-up does wonders but when I am surrounded by colleagues of heavenly skin that look expensive & well-maintained, it left me seething with envy.
The basic point is:
Make-up looks best on good skin!

I start to shamelessly ask pretty colleagues about their skincare & makeup routine, on almost every flight I am on.
One of the brands that is most recommended was Dermalogica, a USA brand.


In Singapore, only Leonard Drake Skin Centre carries it.
I was on their facial programmes for 1 whole year. During that time, my entire skincare routine consists of only Dermalogica products.
I was bought over by the myth that "Oh, you should use all of the same skincare brand for maximum results!"
Rubbish!

I do not buy the products in Singapore, but in Los Angeles when I flew there. Prices are cheaper by 10-20%!

And you know what?
After spending thousands of dollars on the facial programmes & the skincare products, I realise Dermalogica doesn't work for me as well as for most of my colleagues. =(((

Why Dermalogica does not work for me:


1) It contains lavender in most of its products, and the creams & lotions smell heavenly because of that. But I realise that lavender causes small little bumps on my skin.

I was so 'on' about skin care that I even signed up with a mailing list from USA that teaches its readers about skincare ingredients. I read an article about the side effects of lavender in skincare, stopped using the products with it, and my skin cleared up!

So if you are having mysterious breakouts, do check out the ingredients in your skincare. It might just be one particular ingredient that your skin dislikes.

2) Its cleansers are too harsh for me. I have used UltraCalming™ cleanser, Special cleansing gel & Essential cleansing solution. 
I have combination skin slightly on the dry side. They make my skin flake and I have to go to work with peeling skin. It was hideous!
Initially, I thought it was due to the dry wintry conditions or cabin air that caused it. 
I even bought the Super Rich Repair moisturiser and Evian spray to counteract the flakiness on board.
Imagine how silly I feel when I realised the cleansers were the culprits!
To add salt to the wound, I bought those cleansers in those huge 500ml bottles that came with pump dispenser. $$$$!
I think I gave all of it to my sister or Jo. 


3) After 1 year of dedicated use and facial, I see no improvement. 
I have tried the cleansers, moisturisers, masques, boosters, eye treatments, sunscreens & exfoliants.
Every facial, major extractions still have to be done. Although the beauticians would say "Oh, your skin is much better than last time", "You used to have so many clogged pores", I honestly can't see the effect.

The only 2 products from Dermalogica that I still use now are:

Daily Microfoliant

Credit: www.dermalogica.com

Subsequently, a colleague introduced me to another facial place at Tampines by a lady called Karen.
I was in awe of the colleague's skin. She was 36, but I thought she was only 30-31 years old!
Then she told me that she did IPL & Microdermabrasion at Karen's beauty parlour.
Karen also uses Dermalogical products, but it's the treatments that revamped my colleague's skin.
I was sold, completely.
Karen taught me to use the Daily Microfoliant in the morning, as it is a good way to remove dead skin when your skin is not so clogged from the daily makeup/sebum.
And it works! =D

From then on, I have never done normal facials. It is always aesthetic treatments.
I think when we ladies start to reach mid-20s, normal facials just don't work anymore.
Unless you are the kind who sleep very regular hours (before 11pm) and eat steamed, non-fried, healthy food for moisturised skin like the HK actresses, aesthetic treatments are very crucial for skin maintenance.


Multivitamin Power Recovery Masque

Credit: www.dermalogica.com

I like that Karen is not pushy. Although she will recommend the kind of products I should use, she is not a hardseller.
She taught me to leave this masque for about an hour, and while just before washing it off, I should massage it into my skin.
My skin looked more radiant, after I started doing the little massage.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

My team girl, with rosy & porcelain skin, introduced me to the DrX clinic.
No, it wasn't DrX that gave her that kind of skin. She was born with it. But everyone need to maintain, right?

And seriously, this is, like, the BEST anti-pimple/blackhead/clogged pores product I have ever used!

Introducing my skin miracle: DrX Comedone Formula!


My first visit to DrX Clinic was about 6-7 years ago and consultation was done by Dr Lee.
I remembered spending about $400-500 on the skincare products, while the consultation was around S$50?
At that time, there was this big splatter of small pimples on my forehead.
No matter how many facial extractions were done ( by Leonard Drake), they KEPT returning! 氣死我了!
Within 2-3 weeks of using the Comedone Formula, the pimple splatter cleared up and not a scar was left!
My blackhead-prone nose also looked much clearer. If any pore is clogged, I would use the round end of a black hairpin to press the annoying blackhead out, apply CF on it and it will heal nicely!
It was also much easier forcing the impurities out, ever since I started using CF.
Once, a blackhead on my cheek came out on its own accord, after I applied CF on it. But that was only once. Haha!

My sister-in-law has skin that is acne-prone and the Blemish Forumla helps clear up her cheek areas, just in time for her wedding!

Another guy friend had this sudden angry pimple breakout under his chin. Each pimple was the size of a 1-cent coin and purplish in colour. The pimples cover the whole surface area of his lower chin. I bought 1 bottle of the Comedone Formula and the area is 'sparklingly clear' in about 3-4 weeks.

Science is amazing.

I also bought the Lightener and the Non-tinted Sunscreen.

Photo credit: www.drxclinic.com

The Lightener was to lighten the freckles on my cheeks.
I don't find it useful for that, but it sure makes my skin fair. And I like it!
Think of it like a skin whitener!
The downside is that it contains 4% Hydroquinone. Karen told me that hydroquinone can cause skin sensitivity. I used it for at least 2-3 years. Nothing bad happened. Just fairer skin!
When I wanted to buy it again after a 1-2 year hiatus (I was too poor to afford it =( ), the doctor recommended me Arbutin-R Cream (non-Hydroquinone) instead. The lightener is only available through prescription and the doctor said over prolonged usage, the lightener can cause skin to darken instead.
Aww, how sad, after I finally found a whitening product that works for me!


Photo credit: www.drxclinic.com

I do like the Non-Tinted Sunscreen. It is only at S$50, I think and it lasts me half a year with daily usage. Best of all, it does not clog my pores.

But I have since found an even better sunscreen that I will blog about in the next post. This post seems pretty lengthy. =P

I have also tried the Chira Wash, Vit-A Gel, and some of the moisturiser. Make no difference to me, so I'm only using the Comedone Formula & the Non-tinted Sunscreen.

If you have clogged pores and have not found any great solution, you can consider paying DrX clinic a visit. The products cannot be bought over the counter, like in department stores, for first-timers. A consultation with the doctors is required for a proper assessment of the skin, before products are recommended. But no worries, they are not pushy!

Took me a few days to write this post. Okay, back to the emails! =D


Metta,
欣雨 Xinyu

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...