13 November 2011

Working at 31,000 feet

 This blog is hitting one year old soon. 

Was never on my mind to write about being a Singapore Girl, a Flight Stewardess with Singapore Airlines.
I don't even have a suitable label for this entry.

In fact, I steer away from mentioning it too much. 
Least I come across as being A.A. (attract attention).

Not till I got this question in my Formspring inbox 5 weeks ago. 
Oh goodness, has it been 5 weeks??
So sorry for the wait, dear reader!



Occasionally, I see the topic of being an air crew being discussed on others' Formspring. 
I guess being a stewardess is still the dream job for many.

Well, it was never my aspiration to be one.


Why did I become an air crew?


Back in 2001, the economy was not rosy and at the point of graduation, I had almost S$30K Tuition Fee Loan and student loan to pay off.
It was a struggle for my parents to put me through uni.
My mum suggested me to be an air crew.
Or join the police force.

 I wanted to be a fashion merchandiser, but having a degree doesn't guarantee entry into the industry.

I wasn't in love with the idea of paying debts even after marriage. 
A normal office job might not suffice.
So, not fascinated with the idea with physical training, I joined SQ.

Source: singaporeair.com


I wanted to quit once I'm done paying the debts.

So on 09 July 2001, I signed the contract to be a Singapore Girl.


What do I like about being an air crew?


While in SQ, I celebrated my first X'mas in London, had New Year's dinner in Seoul and Paris, and countdown in New York.
I shopped at H&M, GAP, Victoria's Secret, Abercombie and Forever 21, way before they opened in Singapore.
Plus more that haven't make their way into Singapore like Old Navy, American Eagle Outfitters.

During my flying days, I don't shop in Singapore at all.
Shopping overseas was more exciting.  Things were much trendier and afforable.
If I splurge on a branded bag in Europe, I get tax rebate that amount to a couple of hundreds.
If I purchase an entire set of Dermalogica products from LA, I would save 25% compared to buying in Singapore.


I have travelled to 90% of the destinations that Singapore Airlines fly to.
Many of these destinations are what I can only dream about if I held an office job.

Asia ~ Bangkok, Beijing, Fukoka, Hong Kong, Jakarta, Manila, Narita, Nagoya, Osaka, Shanghai, Seoul, Tokyo, Taipei
America ~ Los Angeles, Las Vegas (I went there with my friends from LA), New York, San Francisco
Australia & New Zeland ~  Adelaide, Auckland, Brisbane, Christchurch, Melbourne, Perth, Sydney
Europe ~ Amsterdam, Athens, Brussels, Cambridge (I travelled there from London with my buddy), Copenhagen, Frankfurt, Istanbul, London, Manchester, Milan, Paris, Rome, Zurich

And of course, there are locations that are not, erm, idealistic, but well, it's part of the job.

India ~ Ahmedabad, Delhi, Male, Mumbai
Africa ~ Abu Dhabi, Cairo, Dubai, Jeddah, Johannesburg

Yes, that means I have been to Disneyland, Magic Mountain, the Pyramids, the Little Mermaid, Eiffel Tower, London Bridge, Broadway, Hyde Park, the Bund, Shilin Night Market, Statute of Liberty, Forbidden City, Old Trafford, Hollywood, The Rock, the Blue Mosque, the Greek islands, Pantheon, Acropolis and more.


My fridge magnet collected from all the cities I flew to.


So, I covered 46 cities in my 6 years of flying.
That's an average of 7.5 new cities every year.
I'm not including those that the plane stopped only for a turnaround.
It's an awesome experience really. To have gone halfway round the globe.
If I am to clock that number of cities with my own money, I will either be very broke or very old by then.

Randomly, Singapore has the best and most well-rounded airport in the world!
Asia's newer airports like Beijing, Hong Kong, Shanghai and Seoul might also have the same glassy facade, but no other airport beats our Changi Airport!
That said, I really loved the parquet flooring at some parts of the Copenhagen Airport.
So Scandinavian, so Ikea!

I get a free air ticket to any destination every year.
But I have never used it.
Had wanted to transfer to one of my parents in the next year, but my parents are not keen.
So after I got married, the Husband got to travel with me.
He gets my free ticket plus he is also entitled to one himself annually.
 He was on cloud nine when he got to go Old Trafford and Santa Monica.
To the Husband, it was like a never-ending honeymoon when I was a stewardess.


Source: singaporeair.com

Free travelling aside, getting trained by the top airline in the world is one of the best things that ever happened to me.

SIA really put in A LOT OF EFFORT into training its software, that is, the cabin crew.
From the sentences an SQ girl is supposed to sprout, the facial expressions, the way we sashay down the aisles to how we say sorry in various situations, the School of Cabin Crew have it all down.
We were even taught self-defence.
It was a very intensive 4-month training for all of us.
There were tests every week, and if you flunk too many, you might never get a chance to don that sarong kebaya.
The training doesn't end after we become full-fledged stewardesses.
Throughout a year, we are often sent back for training and upgrading.

SIA is a darling for offering a wide range of free courses that we can opt to take during our off days.
E.g. conversational Japanese/Spanish/German/French/Mandarin, wine courses and many more that I can't remember.
If there's one thing I'm very proud of my days in SQ, it's the wonderful and enriching training that I received. 
Both on ground and on board.

We might be portrayed as demure and gentle in ads, but we're all Wonder Women when the unglamourous part of the work set in!
It has trained me very well to think fast on my feet and conjure up a solution with whatever limited resources I have.
I've gotten quite adept at coaxing crying babies and pacifying vexed mothers who are travelling alone with their children.
To me, my colleagues are the most amazing air crew in the world. 
The umpteen times they have shown me what quick thinkers they are and how creative they can be when it comes to providing top-notch service, I am humbled and impressed.

Just last Thursday, a friend spotted a well-known chef with a lady on a food magazine cover, at Cheers.
He turned around and asked me smugly for his name, thinking that I wouldn't know.
I didn't find it funny.

"Sam Leong. That's his Thai wife."
"Oh, so you know! Now let me test you, which F&B group does Sam Leong work for?"
"Tung Lok."
"Hey, you know that too!"
"Dude, Sam Leong is on the International Culinary Panel of SIA for years. You know I worked with SQ before, right?"

What do I dislike about flying?



Cabin crew barely get to choose when they want to be in Singapore. 
Leave has to be planned about a year ahead. 
It's by luck whether you get your choice of leave.

It can be your anniversary with your boyfriend, your grandmother's 81st birthday or the important gathering of your school mates.
If you don't manage to get an off day by swapping your flights, you just have to miss it.

Thinking of feigning illness and getting a MC?
Babe, MCs affect your record, which in turn affect your promotion and contract renewal chances.
Even if it's genuine.
That time of the month? You have to bear it and flash your radiant smile onboard.
If you're heartbroken or having some other emotional problem, don't ever let it show in front of passengers.
Getting a complaint from passengers is no joking matter.
You can go cry and sulk in the toilet but stay professional once you're on display.
You don't expect passengers to hear or see how unwell you are when they pay good money to get a seat on SIA.

It's not that you're not allowed to fall sick.
But if you're the kind that fall sick easily, you should consider twice about being an air crew.
Simple ailments like flu and cough will put you unsuitable for flight.
In my 6 years of flying, I have only taken sick leave twice.

I was trained for the ultra long-haul flights to States.
Fancy being stuck in an airplane for at least 18 hours?
When I hit the 15th hour, my mind starts going bonkers and pushing on is a matter of sheer mental work.

I have never been a fan of heavy makeup and perfectly coiffed hair, with lots of hairspray and hairgel holding it up.
But that is part of my uniform. 
Perfectly coloured and polished nails are a must too for every flight.
From the time I put on my makeup to the time I removed it, it can be a mind-boggling 24 hours later.
Torturous.

With the volatile schedule every month, I can never sign up for any external courses and score perfect attendance.
For the Japanese course I took for 2 years, I photocopied more notes from my classmates than sitting in for lessons.
It's a miracle that I scraped through JLPT1.
I know of colleagues who did their degrees part-time and took study leave for exams. 
But most big companies in Singapore and government bodies don't recognise such degrees.
That also means being in such a job, you don't get a high chance of upgrading your qualifications.
Unless you go on unpaid leave. But that is subject to approval.

In a month, I get about 10-11 off days. 
Split between spending time with family, the Husband, friends, running personal errands, doing things I like and generally just rest time in between flights.
Half the time, I'm zoned out.
 The long-time fatigue from doing flights caught on to me as I grow older.

Common ailments cabin crew have are back problems and gastric.
It's a job hazard.
Many of us underwent physiotherapy for our backaches.
I was lucky that it wasn't serious enough for me to lose my job.
There are also colleagues who still suffer from jet lag after 10 years of flying.




This is one of the most insightful questions I have ever received on my previous job.

We fly with a different set of crew every flight.
Different pilots, different supervisors, different colleagues amd of course, different passengers.
It's hard to strike any great friendship.
If you are looking for love, that depends on if you find cabin crew and pilots suitable since they are the ones you will have prolonged contact with.
If a passenger passes you a namecard onboard, flattering as it may be, you sometimes can't be sure if he is married, attached or single.

A smart Alec once commented on how he thought stewardesses to be of only girlfriend material and not worthy enough to be a wife.
It took a fair amount of self-restraint not to step on his feet with my stilettos.
I count myself lucky that the Husband's family did not judge me by my occupation.




Flying might be a dream job for many ladies but it cannot be considered as a long-term career. 
As ladies, we can only work till 45 and the contract is renewed every 5 years.
So if the company hits a recession period during your 5th year, they might not renew your contract.
Plus, a stewardess has to quit once she gets pregnant.
No buts about it. 
You can come back flying once you're ready, but it's up to the company whether they will take you back.
That also means you might be jobless for at least a year.

So remember, if you can get a degree before joining the airline, get it. 
You get higher basic pay, which translates into more bonuses and CPF being contributed to your a/c.

Oh, and one more thing, buying Coca-cola is always 2-3 times more expensive than Singapore.


How did I cope with flying while being attached/married?


 When I got together with the then-boyfriend-now-Husband, I was already a stewardess.
So the Boyfriend was pretty used to me not being around all the time.
He was sweet enough to send me off and pick me up from the airport every time I had to work.
He didn't have a car then.
That make him extra thoughtful and caring.

That said, I never like boys who enjoy nightlife like clubbing and partying into the late night.
I wouldn't feel secure if I'm not in Singapore.
Too much to worry. 
Lucky the Boyfriend was the work-then-go-home kind.
When he meets his friends, he makes an effort to let me know beforehand and will always text me to inform me his location.
Be it whether I'm in Singapore or not.

He would spend at least a hundred dollars on calling cards to call me at my hotel rooms.
I still have a collection of all the phonecards he had used up!
Every day, we would talk for at least an hour.
Skype wasn't that stable then.
The Boyfriend was more than willing to spend that money.
Even in cities like Dubai, where the call is like S$1 per minute.
He never stinge on me.

No matter what time it is in Singapore, once I check in and text him the hotel number & my room number, within 5 minutes, the Boyfriend will call me and we will spend at least an hour catching up.

After we got married, we stayed with my in-laws for 3 years. 
Out of which, the first 2 years, I was still flying.
I guess he doesn't feel the lonliness, as his parents and siblings were all living with him.
I have less of a worry too that he might cheat on me, since his mum is still there to watch over him. 
So it's not like he can bring someone home when I'm out of town.
Hahaha!

I will text him liberally when I'm overseas, even if it's like 80cents per sms.
My bill comes up to about S$100+ every month.
To maintain close communication, spending money on autoroaming and overseas messages is definitely necessary.


Why did I quit flying?




I finished paying my NUS loans after about 4 years of flying.
Just before I got married. =)
Stayed on for the 5th year gratuity.

Wasn't quite sure what industry I should enter. I still have zero idea on how to get a headstart in the fashion industry. Though I did considered getting a visa to work for TopShop in London.
My buddy has gone into market research after her 3rd year and is doing well.
I contemplated applying for internal transfer with SIA HQ.
But my interest in the aviation industry is zilch.
Eventually, I quitted for a higher calling.

Oh well, life has a plan of its own and here I am blogging, as an owner of a bag blogshop. =P
Meeting new people and exploring new places repeatedly might sound fun.
But there comes a time when I just cannot leave Singapore anymore.
I just don't want to squash myself into the uniform, pin on my badge and do the SQ hair and makeup.
I got very weary of living out of a suitcase most of the time. 
And believe it or not, travelling doesn't turn me on anymore.
All I wanted was to be around my family and friends and not to be thrown into a new environment everytime I leave for work.
It was getting too unstable to be etching out my livelihood in the air.

Ask any air crew who's on the verge of quitting and he/she will tell you the same thing.
We just don't want to pack that cargo bag anymore.
Before we leave Singapore, we are already thinking of the flight back. 
Before we report for flight the next day, we are already dreading waking up for work and not being around again.
We just cannot take it not being in Singapore for X'mas Eve and Chinese New Year, anymore.

From the first year of flying, I wish I am in a job where I can contribute more.
Not just being in the front line, fighting fires as they come.
A career that can utilise all the skills and knowledge I possess.
Not just looking good, carrying out the service flow and making small & forgettable conversations with strangers that I probably will never meet again.

I quitted when I was 27.
I did not want to look back on my twenties and felt that I had spent it all only at being an air stewardess.
Shouldn't my twenties be more exciting than travelling for free?
Shouldn't my twenties be more defining than an iconic sarong kebaya?
I dream of being a career woman when I was schooling. 
Not a uniformed air waitress.

I am grateful for all the experiences that I gained in SQ and that it helped me pay off my school loans faster than my peers.
At the very least, it helped me answer that silly question from my guy friend.
Nah, to be honest, if I didn't have the composure and service attitude SQ drilled into me, I would be less able at managing Tian Fen Lan and fending off shoppers with unreasonable/greedy requests.

Even if I can't find a job now, I will never go back to flying.
I didn't enjoy the travelling and the work itself.
Cool as it sounds, most of the sight-seeing was actually done with minimal sleep and a jet-lagged body.
It's really more fun to be travelling with your loved ones and with more time on your hand, instead of the 1-1.5 off days we have outstation.
I am no fan of soccer, but when I travelled to Old Trafford with the Husband, his joy and excitement were contagious.
When I first brought him to Santa Monica, the place suddenly felt so much more fun and romantic with him around.


Some things to think about

If you can get a degree before joining the airline, get it. 
You get higher basic pay, which translates into more bonuses and CPF being contributed to your a/c.
CPF is only deductible from our basic pay and not the allowances.
That means your CPF will be much lower than your peers.
So save up all the cash! Don't go crazy on LVs, Guccis or Chanels!
Load up on the cash and buy a condo for rental income next time!
So much more worth it!

Being an air crew, you need a high degree of independence.
While overseas, you sometimes have to travel alone, eat alone, shop alone and even go sightseeing alone.
Everyone have different itineraries when overseas.
Some colleagues just want to sleep in due to fatigue & jet lag. Some go visiting friends/relatives.
Some want to shop in a different part of the city. Some want to study for their exams.
Some just want to rot in their rooms with HBO and Star TV.
If you can't find someone that you can clique with, you're better off alone, instead of struggling to make patronising talk the entire time you're outstation.

Have an exit plan ready.
Many come into the airline, giving themselves 2 years.
Then, they end up staying on for 10 years or more.
People say flying is relatively stress-free, compared to outside jobs.
Yes, if you exclude all the homework that you are supposed to read up before every flight.

People expect the Singapore Girl to be well-versed in her company and its offerings.
I once had a Singaporean man coming up to ask me who the CEO and Chairman of SIA were.
I don't know why he has the urge to know that, in the middle of a long flight.
Or a passenger can ask you what's the difference between First Class, Business Class and Economy Class wines.
It's not like I can tell him straight in the face, "You pay for what you get." without sounding rude.

Tests pop out of nowhere on every other flight.
As SQ cabin crew, we have to be very alert and aware while working.
Also because the company takes passenger complaints VERY seriously.

In my training batch, a handful of us were NUS/NTU graduates.
We were saying how we wanted to have bigger career dreams beyond flying and how flying was just a temporary solution/aspiration for us.
But guess what, one of my batch girls is getting her 10-year gratuity this year.

Time flies when you are flying.
Go for a long flight, come back and 1 week just flew by.
Know what you want to achieve from flying.
It's a very tiring job and we worked very hard to earn the money we bring home.
Don't waste your time inside and have no savings when you quit the airline.

Plan for your future and what you want to do after SIA.
Don't go thinking the gratuity is a lot.
It is CPF & tax deductible.
A supervisor once told me if he had the chance to relive his life again, he will never want to fly for 25 years.

Whichever job you may be in, I hope it doesn't happen to you too.
Not when it's not your dream job.

Tell you something else, I didn't and still don't know how to swim or tread water.
It wasn't a criteria to know to how to swim.
For the last interview round, we're supposed to jump from a 1-2m height into a 2-3metre pool.
We were all to wear life vests, be it we know how to swim or not.
Totally freaked out and kept thinking I'm going to drown.
A couple of girls backed out.
I had come so far and wasn't ready to back down.
So JUMP, I did!



----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Being a blogshop owner is definitely more pressurising and taxing than being a stewardess.
Every day, every other moment, I'm thinking about improving Tian Fen Lan.
But although I'm sloughing my guts out as the owner of Tian Fen Lan, I'm so much happier and fulfilled!
I only wish I started earlier!

I hope this entry helps clarify some doubts for you readers who aspire to be a Singapore Girl.
It's not all rainbows, fluff and cotton candy working for SIA.
If you're looking for easy money, being a SQ cabin crew is not for you.
The top airline in the world doesn't get there by being a slacker.





Metta,
欣雨 Xinyu

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...