03 January 2011

My Charlotte Russe Flats

Just before I quited flying, my last flight was to Los Angeles and I stayed at this authentic Amercian hotel in the vicinity of DisneyLand, Anaheim. There was this big, plush high bed with tons of bedding linen and I could literally bounced off the bed, if I hopped on it with my butt down, hard enough.

The best thing of all, was that I was on the same flight with my ex-team gal, Ei Leen. We did not plan it, but were rostered together. Gosh, the percentage of us being rostered on the same flight is like one in a few thousands (that's how many stewardesses there were at that time)! I was exceptionally thrilled when I saw her name on the crew list. 

Well, to cut the long story short, we went shopping at those big LA malls, and popped into Charlotte Russe, a specialty retail chain store. I always make it a point to get something from there on every LA trip. They were having this Buy-1-get-1-free shoes promotion. It took me at least 1-2 hours pondering which 2 shoes I should get. Ei Leen, the fashionista, had long decided and was helping me with sub-lengthy explanations why I should get a pair of canvas loafers with printed stars/hearts on it. 

We have very different sense of dressing & as I said, she's a fashionista.
Anything looks damn good on her. Even printed semi-neon stars.

After many rounds of squashing my broad feet into the flats/loafers/heels/sneakers & parading in front of the mirrors, I left Charlotte Russe with a pair of patent red Mary Janes & a pair of matte silver flats. If you wonder why the two of us can enjoy so much freedom in the store,  well, the best thing about USA stores is that their sale attendants will leave you on your own, till you are ready to pay. 

The Mary Janes never saw the daylight, since they 'migrated' to Singapore.
But guess what? They were given to the manufacturer to do the flats sample, as I wanted the exact cut & round-toed front. Talk about a reason for everything.


But the silver flats, whoa, I discovered a whole new fashion dimension to them. They go with almost anything! The pair I had has these little elastic scrunches at the back, so they bit me badly for the first 1-2 months. I worn them for almost 1.5 year and was totally smitten by the 'flat' comfort and its versatility. It even matches my semi-formal pants.

I was in love, till one day when I sat down in a cafe, crossed my legs & realised that my darlings were breaking into tatters. So it was time to say bye-bye, and till now, I could not find any pair that remotely resembles them.  

It took me a long time to find a shoe manufacturer. When I finally did, this was one of the first few designs I submitted for manufacturing. 

This is such a vogue colour to match with everything! I love love love the pale shade of gold!
 It is chocolate base & champagne interior for the gold flats. 
The silver flats have black base and dark titanium interior.
Cushioned insoles for all!

When I saw this light champagne textured inner material for the gold flats, I was bowled over. There is such a myriad selection of material & the manufacturer picked that for the sample's interior. How lucky that I did not have to crack my head over this. =)

Honestly, these really looks just like my Charlotte Russe flats, except that they do not bite my feet. =D
Sorry if the photos are a little bit blurry, as I have this innate disability to stabilize cameras well. 
I think I did the silver flats a major injustice, as they look far better in real life.
Do look out for the studio pics during the launch! My photographer will do a much better job than me!

It does not appear clearly here, but the base has good grip. So no worries about slipping!
I really like how the wood-like rubber base adds a dash of class to the flats. 
The sample initially came with yellow rubber base,
but I wanted something different and don't you think this kind of base will enhance the versatility of the flats? 
They look less casual & you can even wear it for semi-formal events!

Writing with an ink pen & a marker
Limited editions! Till my web designer comes up with a TFL logo! Haha!
I did not scan in the writings, as my all-in-one Brother scanner duly refused to operate unless I load him up with new ink cartridges.
How ridiculous when scanning does not consume printer ink!
So I snapped shots of the paper and used Gimp to churn out a image file for the manufacturer.
It was a desperate attempt
and I was just as amazed when the manufacturer has no problem printing the image on the shoes!
The brilliance of technology! Note, Brother is excluded from this exclamation.

A creative person, I am not.
It is sickening when there is no other girl in the house that I can randomly/spontaneously (any time of the day!) ask a second opinion from.
Many times, I would be sitting on the floor, with the samples & fabric swatches sprawled across, 
mumbling to myself, running numerous colour scenarios in the wee hours and trying to pen down my weak-hearted inspirations. 
Partly because I find looking at the colour swatches at night, under fluorescent lighting, 
gives a more accurate depiction of how the shoes/bags will look.
 
It is a very tiring, nerve-wrecking & draining process, I can assure you. Especially when so much $$$ is involved/sunk/dumped/poured in.
 One can never be too sure what will/will not sell.
I have made expensive mistakes, that thou shalt not mention, because of over-confidence.

TFL's customers can certainly look forward to more manufactured goodies this year.
I do enjoy the pre-manufacturing creative process, actually & really wish to bring you gals higher quality goods too!
That is, if these pre-CNY goodies receive your love. =)

Thank you to all those dear customers who sent in your encouragement & voiced out what you think TFL can boost up over Tweeter/Facebook/email/Gmail chats!
Times when I feel that I cannot make it past one more email/thought process/parcel-packing, you kept me going.

Lastly, I hope you like the flats, as much as I do!  <3 <3 <3
I know my supplier & the staff do. They keep one of each colour & say the flats are comfy. =D

p.s. I just gave a gold pair to my mum-in-law for CNY too. =P

 
Metta
欣雨 Xinyu

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...