19 April 2012

What's in my Wallet

I had always read posts where people blog about what they have in their bags.

Being a bag seller, I thought I should do something like that too! But after reading quite a few, I realise, honestly, it's more or less the same. So I thought of blogging about something else.




The first branded wallet I ever bought for myself!

When I was a kid, I used to fantasize about owning many branded wallets & bags. Thought it was as easy as ABC when I am a working adult. On hindsight, I was rather delusional, wasn't I? Haha!

My girlfriends were very sweet to give me a Jean Paul Gaultier black short wallet on my 17th birthday. Had no idea why they did that (we were only college kids!). Maybe they found it embarrassing to hang out with me who was still using a colourful velcro wallet from my secondary school days.

I am not a change-my-wallet-every-other-month kind of girl. (Ya lah, I was too lazy to buy a new wallet & transfer all the contents.) That JPG wallet lasted me till I was 26. The reason for changing was my money and cards were slipping out of the slots, after a decade of usage! 我很长情耶!

Got this Burberry Blue wallet from Fukuoka, during my first flight there! I am a fan of Burberry checks and Burberry Blue and what's better than to get it from the land of Hello Kitty! I swear merchandise there are much sweeter looking than those in Taiwan & Hong Kong!

I remember going for the flight all excited, not just because I love Japan & it was my first time to Fukuoka but that I was finally going to buy my dream wallet! Right after a short rest, I was thronging the malls together with another stewardess. We checked out the wallets at several Burberry Blue branches before deciding on this. It was so pretty and adorable! I think it cost me about S$500+. Had wanted to get a long wallet for more compartment space, but wasn't able to find a suitable one.

Mad excited was an understatement.




Fast forward 5 years later, my Burberry Blue wallet was starting to look real dirty (didn't know how to clean canvas proper!) and Master Dai Hu was telling me that using a black/dark wallet is best for keeping money. Keeping as in storing wealth, not the simple act of having a case for shoving your money in. In all honesty, I do think I manage to store more wealth during my JPG wallet days. =/

Bought the above wallet from Skyblue when TFL was still taking stock from them. It's not my favourite wallet out of the 3 I have owned. But this will do for the time being till I have the time and willingness to part with more money. =X




My first long wallet! It makes storing and sorting of cards and whatnots so much easier than a short wallet! Never ever going back to a short wallet! Silly but it just feels more elegant to be whipping out a long wallet from my bag and pulling out S$50 notes (as if I carry that many, hahaha!) that are nicely laid flat. My notes used to be all squashed in my short wallet, especially when I was in a hurry. Yes, I'm not the most ladylike girl around. Hahaha!




Some of the many, many, many cards in my wallet!

In my growing up days, money was always an issue at home. So over the years, I have learnt that one way of spending less money for the same thing a.k.a saving money is to own a membership card from the shop/restaurant I patronize. I remember having a separate plastic case during my teenager days to hold all the odd membership cards, those girly & pastel personal namecards from my friends and Aaron Kwok's photos! What a memory!

So there's the TCC and Coffee Club cards. I can't remember what's the qualifying criteria, but it's somewhere along the line of spending more than S$88 in a receipt. Being my birthday month this April, TCC was very generous to send me a 50% discount card for my first consumption at TCC and a subsequent 30% discount for my 2nd consumption. 太慷慨了!

And the all-necessary Popular card for the stationery for Tian Fen Lan. Now, who doesn't shop at Watsons?? S$5 to get lifetime membership is mad affordable! I've lost track of the number of times I've redeemed my Watsons points. Definitely very worth it!

I had forgotten that I had this Eu Yan Sang card till I see this pic! Aaah, always never present the card! Think I got the Helen card after spending more than S$30 at one time. The IORA card? Sorry, I can't remember! Might be S$150 & above in a receipt.




My first credit card was a supplementary card from the then-Boyfriend-now-Husband. I eventually got to having a credit card under my name, and that was because I wanted to help this random marketer to earn some commission. The then-Boyfriend-now-Husband was telling me how these cold callers earn almost nothing if they didn't get people to sign up for the bank's cards.

However, I do not like to use credit cards, because the idea of paying bills at the end of the month & possibility of being in debt is very off-putting. Apart from using it to pay for the occasional air tickets or to secure hotel bookings, my credit card is pretty much sitting around doing nothing.

So those cards above are debit cards from UOB & DBS! I love my debit cards! The same convenience of credit cards but without the worry of debt & bills and they double up as ATM cards with NETS functions too! When used as a debit card, they chalk up points that allow me to redeem free stuff from the card catalogue too! I always feel that I should only spend what I have. If don't have, don't spend. As simple as that.

I used to love DBS because once upon a time, there was barely any queue at their ATMs. But the peace of withdrawing money in solitude was gone after DBS and POSB merged. That prompted me to open a UOB a/c. Their ATMs are just as accessible as DBS/POSB's. I can't stand queuing up for ATMs! Such a waste of time when other banks' ATMs are queue-free.

UOB cards are much loved by me because I get to enjoy a lot of dining privileges with their debit cards. I  have had 10-15% deducted from my dining bills at Si Chuan Dou Hua Restaurant,  Goodwood Park Hotel, Mandarin Oriental Meltz Cafe and many others! UOB hooks up with some of the best restaurants around and most importantly, the restaurants I dine at too, to give their cardholders very useful discounts.

The DBS-Takashimaya debit card is really cool too! I can accumulate Takashimaya Bonus Points to redeem for gift vouchers, become a Takashimaya VIP to enjoy an additional 10% discount at selected sale events, and get a free S$3 top-up to my CashCard with a purchase of S$120. Only thing is I don't shop much at Takashimaya, but together with CK Tang, they are my favourite deparment stores!

Alright, I'm starting to sound either like I'm marketing for the banks or very auntie in the way I love the discounts. =__=





My membership card from Fabric-Pro, the laundrette that has done so many miracles on my curtains, suits & other workwear! Paid S$20 for lifetime member discounts! 非常值得!

Salon Vim membership card that I paid S$50 for, which is fully redeemable for their hair services! 哪里不划算! And 15% discount!

Apart my IC and the usual stash of "护生符", there's also a Metro membership card which I obtained by painstakingly accumulating S$300 worth of receipts over 3 months (buying new curtains & bedsheets pre-CNY helped!) and this Ala-carte membership card from the Millennium hotel group! 

That brings the number to a whopping 11 membership cards in my wallet! Do you have as many cards as I do or perhaps even more?

My next black wallet must have a lot of card slots too!

One last thing, I'm so so so so happy with the response from you girls for TFL debut clothing line! Thank you thank you! =DD



Metta, 
欣雨 Xinyu

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...