28 June 2012

My 1st smartphone!

Hello gals! 

Lost my hp last Fri on a cab for the umpteen time and decided that was it. The final straw! It's time to get a smartphone proper and change that unlucky number which I have been using for 14 years! Think that about marks the history of mobilephones in Singapore. Once upon a time, I used to own a Motorola pager!

That mobile number has seen me lost 5 handphones, including the one last Friday and that was a spare phone of someone's else! Urrrgh! Would you believe me if I said I once lost my Blackberry which was a spare phone kept in my drawers? I had no idea where it went!

I had 6 mobile phones under that number and this is the only phone that survived out of the pack.




The Husband calls it the Bandage Phone. All who have seen me using this remember me and my phone. Because it's not often you see a phone twined with a rubber band. #Iamthejokeoftheday

I dropped the phone so many times on the floor that the battery got bloated and the battery cover is unable to shut close. The battery starts to drain out real fast and finally, the phone died a heroic death and all went blank after the final fall. Nokia phones are really hardy. I used it for 4 years!

I still keep the phone for memories' sake. It's my first white phone and the first phone that didn't got misplaced/lost. Totally deserve a space in my drawer just for that!




I had really wanted to wait till Oct for Iphone5. =(

Wasn't able to launch without a phone too, because I won't be able to access my UOB a/c and there's quite a number of customers who do bank transfer via UOB. 

I was at Starhub PS close to 9am on Sunday. I reckon that would save us a lot of time in queuing and squashing about with others.




To get a Iphone 4S 16GB would cost me S$248, while a Samsung Galaxy Note would cost me S$228. The only time I have forked out money for a phone was about 8 years ago, when I fell in love with a Samsung red flip phone. That red matches my SQ red nail polish! It was gorgeous! Ever since I lost it, I told myself I'm only going for S$0 phone from then on. No point throwing away my money!

The thing is, good smartphones are never S$0 and those were the days when phones are merely for calling and messaging.

I tweeted about my dilemma about choosing between Iphone 4S and Samsung Galaxy Note. A very sweet customer emailed me giving me suggestions and a live email exchange ensued.  We were both awake at 4am on a Sunday. Hahahaha! Thank you, Sandy, for your recommendations! If not for you, I won't know Note comes in Pink too!

I was all set on getting a Note when I saw that Samsung Galaxy SII was going for S$68 with contract. That's so much cheaper! There and then, I wondered if I really needed a Note. Yes, it would be useful if I need to reply urgent emails! Peering and tapping on small screens are very exhausting. The Husband and the Starhub staff walked with me to check out the dummies and I was like asking everyone for opinions. I'm very bad at making big decisions like this. =(




Not sure how I got convinced but I got a Note in the end and am still feeling the heartache of spending more than S$200, instead of S$68 even though it wasn't my money. Sandy was right. I wasn't used to the bigger size. But it's really very slim and light for its size. Brother says it is good for me because a bigger phone will be harder to lose. Another plus point is it's easier to fish out from my disorganized bag too! 

The Husband is more excited about the phone than me. I can't feel the excitement yet though. It's just a phone, isn't it? He was bugging me to set up all my social a/cs on the phone but I worry that if I lose it, some stranger is going to have access to my personal Twitter/Facebook a/cs and TFL Gmail (horror of all horrors!)! So no, I will only log in when I need to use it. 

One function that I really like is the S-note function! This phone comes with a stylus and it's so useful for scribbling notes on the go! I can scribble pages of them if I want! I am using it to write my daily affirmations because it's more environmentally friendly and I'm often in too much of a rush to sit down at my table for the writings!

The 8mp camera is a plus point too! I finally have a more 象樣 camera! My Sony camera was only a 6mp and I can't hold it still enough to take good photos. This also means customers can look forward to me posting more TFL photos on Instagram/Facebook!

Display wise, I prefers Iphone/Ipad. The screen is more comfortable to look at but Samsung has designed its phones very well. Note is very intuitive! For e.g. if I'm on the phone with someone and I need to press a key, all I have to do bring down the phone from my ear and the screen will light up! And Samsung really have the nicest-sounding melodies for its ringtones! p.s. I have used Panasonic, LG, Samsung, Nokia & Motorola mobile phones.

I have sent invoices with the Husband's Iphone and Ipad previously and its copy-and-paste function is able to do it with the right formatting as seen in TFL invoices. So I thought this would be a norm. But the first time I tried sending an invoice with my Note, I was really disappointed that the Note can't copy the formatting i.e. no paragraphing, no bolding, no underlining etc. All the pasted text would be in one chunk of paragraph and look very disorganized. Why, Samsung, why??? If I knew that would happen, I would have gone for Iphone 4S. =((


The Husband said there might be a miraculous app that will solve this problem for me. I doubt so but still gonna look into it one day!

The Husband has been bugging me with ways to protect my phone. But I like my phone plain and simple. No fanciful casing/covers, just protective films. And he's like, oh what if your phone break when it gets drop, what if it get scratched, what if this and what if that... The irony is that his Iphone doesn't have a casing either. Double standard. Pffft!

And yay to a new auspicious mobile number! I hope that erases all my bad luck with phones and bring me more good news of prosperity for Tian Fen Lan!! Huat ah!! (I think only a Chinese will say this, haha!)




Metta,
欣雨 Xinyu

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...